Aristolochia debilis is a PERENNIAL growing to 1 m (3ft 3in) by 1 m (3ft 3in).
It is hardy to zone 8. It is in flower from Jul to August, and the seeds ripen from Sep to October. The flowers are hermaphrodite (have both male and female organs) and are pollinated by Flies.
Suitable for: light (sandy), medium (loamy) and heavy (clay) soils and prefers well-drained soil. Suitable pH: acid, neutral and basic (alkaline) soils. It can grow in semi-shade (light woodland) or no shade. It prefers moist soil.
Genus - Aristolochia
Species - Debilis
Common name - Chinese Pipe Tree
Pre-Treatment - Not-required
Hardiness zones - 8 - 11
Height - 1 m (3ft 3in)
Spread - 1 m (3ft 3in)
Plant type - Flower
Vegetation type - Ornamental deciduous
Exposure - Sun to Partial Shade
Growth rate - Medium
Soil PH - light (sandy), medium (loamy) and heavy (clay)
Soil type - Well drained, moist
Water requirements - Average Water
Landscape uses - Decorative
Germination rate - 80%
Bloom season - Summer
Leaf / Flower color - Green / Red-Purple
|Germination||1. Soak the Aristolochia seeds in a vacuum flask (thermo cup) filled with 175 F (~75-80C) water for two days. Remove the seeds from the flask one hour before sowing them.|
2. Fill 6-inch plastic pots with garden soil. Sow one Aristolochia seed in each pot. Press the seed into the soil so most of it is beneath the surface but the top is still exposed. Do not cover the seed completely since it needs light to germinate.
3. Mist each pot heavily with a spray bottle filled with filtered water. Mist the soil until it feels wet when probed in the top inch. Maintain moisture at that level for the duration of germination.
4. Place the pots in a greenhouse or indoors near a large window. Suspend a grow-light or another type of fluorescent lamp above the pots so the Aristolochia seeds have eight to 10 hours of light each day.
5. Look for signs of germination in 30 to 90 days. Move the pots with germinated Aristolochia seeds to a sheltered spot with very bright light and temperatures above 55 F.
6. Keep the seedlings sheltered until spring and continue the watering regimen described in Step 3. Transplant the Aristolochia seedlings into a permanent pot or bed once nighttime temperatures stay reliably above 48 F. Space the vines 2 to 4 feet apart.